How often do windows in Toronto really need to be replaced?
Every five years? Every ten years? How about 20? What’s the difference between residential and commercial? Does one need to be replaced sooner than the other? If you need answers to your questions about window repair and glass replacement for both residential and commercial glass windows in Toronto, then keep reading below.
Residential glass replacement
The windows in the average Toronto home are designed to last for between 15-20 years. But there are a few factors that influence how well they hold up including:
· The quality of windows
· The quality of the installation
· Maintenance and frequency of window repair
· The quality of insulation and ventilation inside your home
Once your residential windows approach the 15 year mark, be on the lookout for the following signs of deterioration:
· Condensation—If moisture starts to build up between your window panes, the weather seal is likely broken and you’ll need professional window repair.
· Drafts—Just like built-up moisture, drafts indicate that your windows are no longer sealed correctly and will need to be replaced or repaired.
· Increasing energy bills—If you’ve noticed a sharp spike in your energy bills due to a draft. Call a reputable Toronto window repair company like Northstar Glass today.
· Rotting frames—When moisture is allowed to build up around wood frames it puts them at risk of decay. Rotting frames can deteriorate quickly and allow even more air into your home.
· Warped frames—Once your frames are warped, they can make it difficult to open and close the windows and allow drafts inside your home.
Commercial window replacement
Just like residential windows, commercial windows need repairs whenever there are signs of damage, decay or if the glass is getting too old to be an effective barrier from the elements. Old or damaged frames can allow heat to escape in the winter and warm air to enter in the summer. Older models of windows might also not have the same energy saving tints as newer models.
Depending on the condition of your commercial windows you should consider having them replaced if you’d like to:
· Swap out wooden frames for newer materials
· Switch from single pane to double pane
· Take advantage of the latest energy-saving tints
· Upgrade to a more contemporary look
Whether you’re replacing residential or commercial windows the benefits are similar. You’ll enjoy a more modern look and increased energy savings.
For more information about window repair and glass replacement in Toronto and the surrounding area, call Northstar Glass today. We’re proud to offer custom glass fabrication as well as window installation and repair services to customers throughout the GTA. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment.